1. Welcome to the new Mobile Beat forums! Your user name and password works just as it did before. If you have any trouble logging in please contact loginhelp@mobilebeat.com

Thanks,
    The Mobile Beat Team

2013 Teen song list?

Discussion in 'Tools Of The Trade' started by jordonjcrew, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jordonjcrew

jordonjcrew jcrewpro

So I have looking around to find a trend that's recent on song list for teens. I cant find a current list. So sorry if there is one. I have a 13 yr old birthday party this weekend and she sent me a list.
    I was kinda surprise on some of the songs and the parents told me to pick the ones that are clean. I don't need a trend to tell me what songs are bad. I want to add good, clean, fun, dance songs to my list.

This is the list that was sent to me.
    Swimming Pools
    Party on 5th ave
    Work out
    Donald Trump
    Young and gettin it
    Kush - dr. dre
    Loud
    Cudi Zone
    No Hands
    No Sleep
    No Worries
    On and On
    The Motto
    Rack City
    Pretty girl rock
    thrift shop
    HYFR
    MAAD city
    Right above it
    Just a dream
    Yuck
    Knock Knock
    Roll Up
    Best I ever had
    Party rock
    Diamonds
    I cry
    Die Young
    We are never getting back together
    whistle
    get low
    apple bottom jeans
    payphone
    u don't know your beautiful
    wild ones
    move like jagger
    work hard, play hard
    Ni**as in Paris (only if you have clean version!!!!)
    starships
    call me maybe
    oath
    loose yourself
    Fadded
    The one that got away
    firework
    we found love
    young, wild and free
    part of me
    not afraid
    want you back
    stronger
    I knew you were trouble
    pop lock and drop it
    sexy chick
    teach me how to dougie
    Jerk
  2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Mobile Beat Moderator Staff Member

Call me maybe
    you don't know your beautiful
    party rock
    moves like jagger
    those right off the top of my head I have played at family events
  3. jodi

jodi Member

"the parents told me to pick the ones that are clean" :)

So, looking at the little darling's list, my thoughts: 1)She likely listens to your local power/urban radio station (but, the bulk of her friends may simply be listening to the "top 40" pop station. 2) The parents either have no idea what the little angel requested, or they are REALLY trusting you to manage it. 3) Ultimately, the parents want their daughter to be happy (or they wouldn't host a party) and the daughter wants to be cool, and for all of her friends to have a blast. So, fingers crossed that friends having fun will win over daughter's "so cool and dirty" list ... which is not filled with FUN songs, regardless of lyrics.

The songs from the list that I think are "parent-clean", and might be fun dance songs

Party on 5th ave (I did find and play a clean version of this one this summer...)
    No Hands (lyrically, whatever, but for sure they will want to grind to this one )
    The Motto
    Rack City
    Pretty girl rock
    Just a dream
    Roll Up
    Party rock
    Diamonds
    I cry
    Die Young
    We are never getting back together
    whistle
    get low
    apple bottom jeans
    payphone
    u don't know your beautiful
    wild ones
    move like jagger
    starships
    call me maybe
    loose yourself
    the one that got away
    firework
    we found love
    young, wild and free
    part of me
    not afraid
    want you back
    stronger
    I knew you were trouble
    pop lock and drop it
    sexy chick
    teach me how to dougie
    Jerk

Although she has some questionable, she has lots of fun age appropriate, too! (One Direction! Carly Rae! Katy Perry! Taylor Swift!) I would also be prepared for more of the "Dougie type" stuff, like Berney, Cat Daddy (clean), Crank That, Wobble, Jump on it, Gangnam Style, Sandstorm, and stuff that 13 year olds can/will dance to.

Clean fun danceable (13 year old's) Top 40 recent/right now? Maybe also add in Pitbull (Give Me Everything, Don't Stop the Party), Dynamite, Levels (or Good Feeling), Locked out of Heaven, One More Night, Some Nights, Wild Ones, You Make Me Feel, All I Do Is Win, Like a G6, Don't you Worry Child, It's Time, Little Talks ....

Have Fun!
  4. jordonjcrew

jordonjcrew jcrewpro

Thanks guys for the help but what about content then. would you play whistle or any other song that suggestive?
  5. oldschooldj

oldschooldj Member

I am required to play off the School Dance Network, safe song list by all the current schools I play for. They have gained attendance at one school and lost attendance at another, the one that lost attendance, they were happy to be shed of the ones they lost. You still have a tremendous amount of great songs to choose from.

All the Sweet Sixteen and Teen Party dances I am playing at, I introduce them to the School Dance Network, so far everyone (parents and students) have been OK with sticking to the safe songs. Keep in mind I am in a strong Christian Community and many of the kids don't think it is cool to have all the bad language and bad lyrics in thier music. Yes we have low lifes and thugs here too, we are working hard to help them clean up thier act, maybe setting a good example will work.

You can only fix American one person at a time. Even if you are not a Christian, much of todays music crosses the lines when it comes to proper content for our youth! My hat is off to those artist who understand that and provide quality music for us DJ's to play!!
    Ray J.
  6. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

We Are Young
  7. djtunes

djtunes Checking Reality

8. jodi

jodi Member

Good question.

Although I really like Flo Rida, I have never played Whistle....

re: suggestive - I hear you, and as a wedding DJ (who also regularly DJs a half dozen middle school dances, and a Bar/Bat Mitzvah or two every year)

I do a couple things with songs I consider "suggestive"

1) I simply skip them (we only have so much time)
    or
    2) I might play a quick chorus/bridge/or verse of a "super" hot/popular song - but not the whole song, and not the offending part(s). That way, I've got cred - if it's a birthday (or Mitzvah kid) THEY have cred - and usually with this age group's attention span, and entire song is often too long anyway.