Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

View Poll Results: bridge mono vs parallel mono

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • bridged

8 66.67%
  • parallel

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean

Bridge Mono vs Parallel Mono

referring to another topic's post, is bridge mono really worth it? putting a lot of extra stress on your amp for a few decibels more? is the headroom space worth it?

i hope i setup this poll thing right...

parallel,

dont kill your amp,, Parallel is the way to go..

Ive been doing this over 12 years, And ive learned the hard way by pushing amps to hard...

Parallel is sooo smooth and just like the posts from the other Discussion, it will give you the trueness you are looking for..

can someone explain paralell mono please.
    Chris

Parallel mode:
    Using only one channel input, feeds both channel of the amp. Eliminating the "Y" adapters. You will have 2 channels with the same signal (mono).

on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean
    did i even setup the poll thing right? i don't see any changes...

I tried to vote but it didn't work....

anyway, as long as you have the right ohm load on your amp, then there is nothing at all bad about bridged mono. Where you will run into problems is if the impedence drops too low, like 2ohms.

MOST DJ amps are most powerful at 4ohms, so if you can get a 4ohm load on the amp, it will not overstress it in any way.
    Rob Freedline

Good Vibrations Special Event DJs & Entertainment
    "Enhancing Special Days In A Personal Way"
    www.goodvibemobiledj.com

ADJA Member

Do you lose stereo sound when you go parallel on your tops?

we are not using the term stereo so um yeah

the reason I asked on parallel mono is because there apparently diiferent ways to do it. 1 input channel or the Crown Macro-Tech way which will let you run as low as 1ohm. Running the 1 input channel way only uses the amp as y cable but doesn't net you any difference in power. for example, if you have a PLX3402 that you run in "parallel" mode with a pair of 8ohm subs you are sending each one of them 700watts. now if you take the same PLX3402 and run it in bridge mono mode with the same pair of 8ohm subs, you sending each sub 1700watts. thats A LOT of headroom!

If you have an amp that is designed to run at 2ohm stereo/4ohm bridge then bridgeing the amp is no problem. for instance, the PEAVEY PV line states that they are not recomended "for continuous 2ohm operation" while the crown CE4000 says that it is suitable for continuous 2 ohm use. The same holds true with the PLX line and many other "DJ amps". most Dj's cant afford nor are the willing to haul around the weight of an amplifier that is capable of producing 1500+watts @ 8 ohms(without being bridged) to drive their subs and have headroom to spare.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Aural Landscapes
    Do you lose stereo sound when you go parallel on your tops?
    Yes. But don't worry about it. Stereo is only effective if your audience is in the sweet spot. The layout of many situations prevents this. Hearing one channel of stereo (but not the other) is a lot worse sounding than two speaker mono (aka binaural).

In terms of perceived sound quality, there is a big difference between monaural (1 speaker) and binaural (2 speakers). The perceived quality difference between binaural and stereo is much smaller.

I actually have my setup configured in stereo. I use the stereo/mono switch on my mixer when I find myself in situations that demand mono. I would guess this occurs about 50% of the time.
    Experience: It is what you get when you don't get what you want.