Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Register Now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

User Tag List

How to NOT run a karaoke show

This was run by a company called "The Entertainment Team" that works out of the Sacramento area. This show in particular was at the Zone Ball, a big Halloween party event at Cal Expo here in Sac.

You can read about Zone Ball at www.radiozone.com

Anyhow, here's the story:

Ok, out back they had karaoke so I ask the guy around 11pm how long the wait will be, he said about 30 to 40 minutes so I turn my song slip in. As he went to grab the slip, it fell behind his mixer board. He said he'd get it and that it was cool.

So I go hang out for about 30 minutes or longer, then come back up to check on where I was in the rotation and I found out they didn't retrieve the slip. So they said, "oh ok, we'll put you on top." Which means I would be the next singer. Cool (I thought).

About another 30 minutes or so go by and they still don't call me up, so I go ask again. This time a girl helping the KJ guy out tells me that they were not putting the singers up unless they came up and asked to sing. This is after turning in a slip.

So I say, "hey over an hour ago the guy said the rotation was 30 to 40 minutes, so what's up?" She says something about putting me back in the rotation, but it would have been another probably 30 minutes at least looking at the other 3 to 4 singers in front of me and they kept mixing in dance music. I just told her to take my slip out of their rotation. I have friends that were hanging out back with me and we were all getting bored waiting, so we went back inside and it's now after Midnight (inside they have live bands, lots of dancing, etc.).

This karaoke show was ran very horrible and I know of three other companies in town (Avent's Empty Band, Michael Row Productions, and a show run by a guy named Joe at Cliff House) that don't dick you around like this. You would think that having a show with that many people, you'd want to make a good impression on the people so they'd want to hire you for future gigs. I guess not with them.

Ok, end of vent.

Do you do offer Karaoke?
    Ron Ralph
    A DJ TO GO
    www.adjtogo.com
    adjtogo@yahoo.com
    Pensacola's Leader In Quality Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo
    Do you do offer Karaoke?
    Myself, no. But I've worked for a bar owner that owns equipment (I helped by telling him what to purchase and helped set everything up and do the songbook) and KJ'd quite a few shows for him. But I don't own a business that offers karaoke.

I've been to many shows as a customer, even some out of state and this was the worst handling of a rotation that I've ever seen.

Being a Karaoke host is a tough job. Until you've done it, you won't completely understand. Mistakes happen. We are all human.
    Ron Ralph
    A DJ TO GO
    www.adjtogo.com
    adjtogo@yahoo.com

There's 2 sides to every story. But from what I read, you got dicked around. Based on your version that KJ is a jerk.
    http://www.chicagolightingdesign.com

" ... and I'm all out of bubblegum!"
    Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

adj - I've KJ'd before, I used to do it 2 to 3 times a week (for the bar owner), so I know how to run a rotation and that guy didn't. I shouldn't have to go up there 3 times when he tells me 30 to 40 minutes is the rotation.

The guy blew it big time. I'd never recommend their company for anything. I've never had to say that about a karaoke company before.

len - That's the way it went down. I blew an hour of my night out back in the karaoke area and I didn't want to bore the people I was with to have to wait another 45 minutes or so (which would have been nearly 2 hours) and the place closed at 2am, so the night would have been close to being over.

It was ok, because since I told them to just pull my slip out of the rotation (after the 3rd time they gave me the run-a-round) it did give us time to go back inside and check out the rest of the place.

MCKrusty,
    So what you're saying is that, at any of the events you've done, you've never made a mistake? Everyone is human. I can understand your frustration, but I think as KJ's and DJ's ourselves, we are more critical of others who perform like we do.

Write it off as a learning experience and don't go back there again if it bothers you that much.
    Ron Ralph
    A DJ TO GO
    www.adjtogo.com
    adjtogo@yahoo.com

Actually it's a once a year event, so I don't have to even start to think about going back for another year.

If I do go next year I'll skip the karaoke (unless another company is doing it).