PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own The Rane Mojo MM8 Mixer - Question about mono

Chuck Amstone
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm setting a small portable PA for ceremonies. I'm using a Rane Mojo MM8 with ONE powered FBT speaker.

Since I'm only using one channel for the output "Left or right", I need to somehow get the signal in mono.
Do I need to to somehow combine both outputs into one XLR or is there a different way?

Thanks

Mark Evans
06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
You could probably get a y connector. 2 1/4 males to 1 xlr female end should work. Here's the manual
http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/mm8zman.pdf

Chuck Amstone
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mark!

I'll contact Rane in the morning and see if this is recommended. I searched the internet for such cable but came up empty.

Steve Saltzman
06-09-2010, 09:22 PM
A Y cable works for splitting one output in two, but I don't think trying to combine 2 outputs into one with a simple cable would work electrically. Maybe the transformers for the balanced output would provide enough isolation to allow this to work, but I'd definitely do some more research before tying them together.

IMO your simplest solution is to just run off the L or R channel, or get a different mixer. A Denon X500 is the same size (though may be slightly deeper) and has a lot more signal routing capabilities. I own both, and personally think the X500 is a better mixer.

Steve Saltzman
06-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Just did a quick google search and found this article--straight from Rane no less: http://www.rane.com/note109.html

I didn't read through the whole article, but the idea is that you include resistors to allow the two outputs to be at different voltages (and therefore preventing an overcurrent condition).

soundtrek
06-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Chuck,

I use the Mojo MM8Z and I got a tip from Rane several years ago. They sent me instructions to build a interconnect/patch cable the is connected to the send/return jacks on the "program loop" that automatically sums the left and right channel creating a mono signal out of both the L or R main outputs. I can pull it out of my rig this weekend and open the 1/4" connector to see how I built it. I lost the instructions Rane sent long ago. I recently had a call to Tech support on another topic and was discussing this with the tech and that particular tech didn't know what I was talking about.

chubbyb
06-10-2010, 07:44 AM
I have the indentical setup chuck and I have not worried or had any issues stereo vs. mono ... never heard one word from any client ... it's for such a short period of time... pre-ceremony no one pays attention to and a few songs down the aisle... voice comes over fine from a mic set-up... imho making unecessary work over a relatively minor detail

Chuck Amstone
06-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Since combining the outputs isn't a good idea, why not make the source mono? Is will only part of the signal still come out?

Partyman
06-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Remember most all classical music is recorded in mono

Rusty

maestro
06-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Chuck, one of these is all you need: http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=90&cat=13&id=131
That unit is also great for connecting your laptop directly to one powered speaker.
Which FBT speaker are you using? I use one MaxX 4a for ceremonies, works great!
Most tunes sound fine coming out of one side, unless you're playing a Beatles song where things are hard panned to one side or the other. One thing I've noticed while running mono is that quite often it sounds better to leave it in stereo and just use the L or R output. I have a mono button on my mixer so I flip back and forth to compare and that's what I've noticed.

Soundtrek, that interconnect cable sounds like a nifty idea!

Chuck Amstone
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Steve,

I'm using the Max 4A. Great little speaker for ceremonies, cocktails etc.

What I think I'm going to do is have the signal coming from my pc switched to a mono cable. Seems like there is an RC cable that can do this.

Reason I need to do this is yes, the Beatles and a couple other songs and I know how they sound when only in one speaker running stereo.

Gregoree
06-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I wanted to do this at one time and found that it is not as easy as just combining both channels in to one with a Y connector.
Thanks for the link Steve.