PDA

View Full Version : Crown Xti 4000 Opinions??

DJ_Jess
11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I am looking at getting a pair of these to run my subs off of. Can anyone comment on these? I would love to here some feedback on them (XTI 4000)Thanks

Jackie
11-24-2007, 01:33 AM
what subs?

DJ_Jess
11-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Peavey SP 218's

Jackie
11-25-2007, 03:37 AM
before I make a recommendation, what other kind of amps are you running?

DJ_Jess
11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Before I was running the American Audio 3001s on them at 2000 Watts @ 4 ohms bridged but found that the peaveys are power hungrey and needed some more headroom and power so that is why I am looking at the crown xti 4000 at 3200 Watts at 4 ohms bridged. I was thinking about ging to the american audio v4001 because I love their amps but now I look at how much they weigh in and decided I needed something lighter in the amp rack since there will be 4 amps in the same rolloing rack. It also comes down to how fast I can get them because I have a Busy, Busy December with 7 school dances within 2 and ahalf weeks. A local store has 2 of the xti's instock if I decide to go with them.

DOUBLE_PLAY
11-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Ok, I hope this helps:

The SP218 peaks at 4800 watts in a 4 ohm load. That being said, I think you should look for an efficient amplifier that will bring you closer to that number than the XTi-4000, especially if you are using this for school functions.

Although a bit heavier than the lightweight XTi, I highly suggest the QSC RMX-4050HD. It puts out 4000 watts in 4 ohms, and the HD circuitry in that particular model makes it well suited for sub duty, which is especially important when running a 4 ohm bridged load to a sub.

By the way, how do you like the SP218's? For the price they seem to be a tough sub to beat.

DJ_Jess
11-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Peak is 4800 Watts. Their Program Power is 2400 watts. So giving them the power from the xti 4000 should be quite enough with some headroom. I just would like to know how these amps preform, if anyone has used them. I dont wana go with anything to heavey as I will have 4 amps in a rolling amp rack which can be a pain to lift into the van.

Conanski
11-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Before I was running the American Audio 3001s on them at 2000 Watts @ 4 ohms bridged but found that the peaveys are power hungrey and needed some more headroom and power so that is why I am looking at the crown xti 4000 at 3200 Watts at 4 ohms bridged. A couple things. Are you running all your amps on the same circuit or spreading them out? A bridged amp will pull down some big peak current so they really need plenty of AC to deliver the goods. The SP218 may be rated 4800w peak, but the drivers themselves only have a long term thermal rating of 600w continuous. With recorded music you are really gonna push the limit with more than 2400w IMO, just asking for blown drivers. More headroom is usually good, but if the music has very little dynamic range you risk overpowering the drivers, and the trend lately with popular music is heavy compression. Last thing. Amplifiers are the most inefficient when running bridged mono, in other words they waste more energy producing heat than in any other configuration. You would see better performance and lower AC consumption with 1 big amp running stereo into a pair of 4 ohm loads, than 2 smaller amps running bridged mono. A Peavey 4080HZ would deliver about the same power as the pair of AA3001's, but will sound punchier and consume less AC. The added benefit is less rack space and weight.

Jackie
11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
What amps are you using for your highs/mids? I ask because different manufacturers uses different directions in air flow. For example crown uses a front to rear airflow so it will be blowing hot air in the back and sucking in cool air from the front.

On the contrary, QSC uses rear to front cooling, so it takes in cool air in the back and expels hot air in the front.

Therefore it's not a good idea to mix these two amps together because the hot air will be recirculating and the amps won't be able to cool themselves.

___

You have big power hungry subs, so you will be somewhat underpowering even with the XTI 4000. Unfortunately amps above this power range will quite expensive. Some amps that come to mind are QSC PL380 and Crest Audio Pro 9200.

However, you system will sound just fine with the XTI4000, but it just wont be driven to it's full capabilities. But ask yourself if an extra 3db is going to be worth an additional $1000?

Jackie
11-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Just want to elaborate why you're going to kinda underpowering these subs.

Subs are rated for 4800w peak, therefore it's 2400w program (musical material), and 1200w continuous.

So assuming you run the amp in stereo mode the subs are going to receive just barely enough to supply it's cont. power rating. Ideally you want to give the subs it's program power rating, which is 2400w per sub.

DJ_Jess
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
So assuming you run the amp in stereo mode the subs are going to receive just barely enough to supply it's cont. power rating. Ideally you want to give the subs it's program power rating, which is 2400w per sub.

assuming you run the amp in stereo mode

Each amp will be bridged giving them their program rating and some headroom (3200 Watts).

What amps are you using for your highs/mids? I ask because different manufacturers uses different directions in air flow. For example crown uses a front to rear airflow so it will be blowing hot air in the back and sucking in cool air from the front.

I am using 2 Peavey 2600's for my 4 tops. I am not really worried about the air flow because the amp rack always has the front and back covers off.

Are you running all your amps on the same circuit or spreading them out?

Each amp is always on a seperate breaker.

Jackie
11-26-2007, 04:49 PM
It doesn't matter if you run your amps with the covers off (in fact, you better!), the fact that hot air will re-circulate, the chances of overheating will be much higher.

Also, if you can afford to have two XTI-4000, it will be more affordable and more convenient if you have one really powerful amp such as the Crest Pro 9200 or PL380

DJ_Jess
11-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Demoed and bought the amps today. If I ever want to split this system up into 2 I want 2 amps for the subs. Anyway they showed me the software for these amps, and all I can say is crown is one step ahead of the rest on that one. I will let you all know how they work out.

stefmayers
11-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Dj_ Jess I run the "babies" to your subs, the SP118 subs and bridge a QSC PLX 3402 into two of them and they love the 1700W/driver...I just keep the signal clean...those Black Widows will love the 1600W/ driver you amps will provide..please let us know how the system performs now :D

DJ_Jess
11-27-2007, 07:00 PM
please let us know how the system performs now

O I will tonight is test night, im just getting all the digital eq and crossover settings entered. Im loving this software to configure the amps this stuff is amazing! Crown is the only one that I know of that has this technology so far... I'll Report back!