PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make this AC Recessed Male / Female plug

BBBuffalo
04-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Does (can / will) anyone make an AC Recessed Mountable AC Plug that has a female plug on the reverse side.

The ones I have seen (like the pictured one below) say to "wire" it to your ac strip. I don't want to wire it, I just want to plug it in on both sides.

http://www.pssl.com/images/thumbs/P0003593D.jpg

Brandon Fisher
04-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I have never see one like you are thinking of.

fist
04-18-2005, 01:48 PM
You can get those at marine shops around the US. This is a common plug used to hook up on-board battery chargers on boats. I used one on my first DJ cabinet and it worked great. Come to think of it I may do it again.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=5205&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

All Event DJs
04-18-2005, 01:56 PM
You can get those at marine shops around the US. This is a common plug used to hook up on-board battery chargers on boats. I used one on my first DJ cabinet and it worked great. Come to think of it I may do it again.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=5205&hvarDept=200&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse

I think the one you describe still requires you to "hard wire" the power cable to the backside of it. What he is looking for is something he can just plug-in his plugged power cord to the 3 prongs onto the backside of the mounted piece...and the run it to his power strip (I think :?: )

BillESC
04-18-2005, 02:41 PM
We stock them. It is only a male inlet, the back side has three lugs for your power cable. We can mount a short wire lead with female AC connector to the rear if you want.

BBBuffalo
04-18-2005, 05:26 PM
Barry is exactly right.

Bill I called, but didn't get thru, I'll try you later, and/or check your PM.

Jackie
04-18-2005, 09:13 PM
if you can get a hold of the recessed male plug, why not just wire in a female receptor yourself? The parts would only be a couple of bucks from your local home improvement store.

Northshoredj
04-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Why not just use Powercon connectors? Much smaller, neater and locks into place.

http://206.183.9.134/plug.jpg

http://206.183.9.134/plug2.jpg

BillESC
04-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Powercons are very nice and we stock them also...BUT, they will still require a hard wired termination on the inside of the case.

His best option is the AC inlet he pictured with a 6" AC female tail.

maestro
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Unless of course we can figure out how to get a large square through a small round hole... :wink:

bjojade
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Why not just use Powercon connectors? Much smaller, neater and locks into place.

Are you seriously using those for AC power? That's not the best idea in the world. You could seriously do some dammage by accidentally plugging the connector into a speaker.

If you are looking for a locking style plug, there are several that are designed for AC power that wouldn't be confused with anything else.

BillESC
04-19-2005, 12:58 PM
Bojade,

Powercons and Speakons will NOT mate. Their configurations are different to prevent exactly what you stated from happening.

DJ Eclipse
04-20-2005, 06:13 AM
BBB why not take the ends off an old extension cord and then wire the 1 end to the plug. This would allow you to just plug in the power bar without having to hard wire the power bar into the connector.

All Event DJs
04-20-2005, 07:50 AM
BBB why not take the ends off an old extension cord and then wire the 1 end to the plug. This would allow you to just plug in the power bar without having to hard wire the power bar into the connector.

Just to clarify, you would just need to take 1 end off the extension cord (the male plug end) as the other end (female plug) would plug into the cord from the power conditioner. You could make it however short you want the cord to be for less mess of cords inside.

Jon Bruce
04-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Let me think out loud here for a minuter.

Which is more prone to breakage and shearing?

The Recessed AC or the powercon?

Is this not as big a concern as I think it would be?

Bonus question.

How do you finish the backside of the plate so that the terminals aren't exposed?

djcarl
04-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Powercons are starting to replace IEC connectors and will soon start to take hold over US NEMA plugs.

If you look at the plugs, the connectrs are protected inside. They also have multiple wipers touching a long bar in the mating side. NEMA plugs just have one wiper and single contact. Powercons also have No exposed connections, it's all inside. It's a barrel fit and the ground pin (just like the longer US plug ground) connects first. The Powercons are a combination twist and also latch lock. You cannot pull these appart. You have to pull the latch and then twist. The material is a better quality than most NEMA plugs you at Lowes/Home Depot, Instead of a 2 sided crimp strain relief you have a barrel 3 point flexable strain relief. You have two different ways of building the plugs ends, you have a screw type clamp or you can solder up to 12ga wire in the same spot. The depth of the powercon panel mount is 1/2 of depth of a 20amp twist lock, and the height and mounting of the powercons is the same space as a D-style xlr connector. (THAT's SMALL FOR A 20amp rating). The inlet and outlet are different colors (blue is inlet, grey is outlet) so it's easier to color code a panel, and the big one....

They are a heck of a lot cheaper than the US plugs. A panel mount 20 amp twist lock NEMA is $17.00 and the plug is another $12.00 (roughly). The powercon plug and panel mount runs around $10.00 for the set. That's cheaper than either of the NEMA components. The powercons are also rated at 20amps.

So...Which will it be???

I have discontinued quoting NEMA twist locks on the panels I'm building. I can supply the panel and two powercon plug ends (one is a spare) still less than just the panel mount 20a twist lock.

Hope this clears up some of the questions about powercons.

BBBuffalo
04-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Bill!
I got them today (just a couple of days after ordering via email). No trips to home depot, no phone calls, no soldering, etc, and about the same price as the flush mounts alone.

If anyone wants to order these, I have the new patent on them, and Bill can sell them for twice what he charged me. (Bill, just send me the royalties once a month)

DJ Ron Auger
04-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Where can you buy these powercon connecter?

Brandon Fisher
04-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Where can you buy these powercon connecter?
I can get them for you.

BillESC
04-27-2005, 10:22 PM
We also stock them. ;)

DJ Ron Auger
04-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys! If someone wants to email me with info that would be great.
djron@djronauger.com

Jackie
04-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Bill!
I got them today (just a couple of days after ordering via email). No trips to home depot, no phone calls, no soldering, etc, and about the same price as the flush mounts alone.

lol... all it takes to make something like that is:

1. old extension cord for the female end (the end is available anywhere)
2. scissors to cut the cord to length
3. screwdriver to terminate cords to plug. (these things don't require soldering)
4. the recessed male plug
5. and about 10 minutes of your time

BBBuffalo
04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Jackie,
It took less than that amount of time for me. Actual time about 60 seconds.

You also left out that you have to have the flush mount plug in the first place.

SO, that's great if you want to make your own, but ordering it was my preferred method.